Health Insurance Assistance
OBAMA CARE ( aka “ The Affordable Care Act”)
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
What is Obama Care?: Obama Care is the unofficial name for The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act which was signed into law on March 23, 2010. Obama care’s health care reform does a number of important things including offering Americans a number of new benefits, rights, and protections in regards to their healthcare and setting up a Health Insurance Marketplace where Americans can purchase federally regulated and subsidized health insurance.
NY State of Health is the official online health plan marketplace for New Yorkers, and the only place where you can check your eligibil-ity and apply for health insurance. It is an easily accessible, one-stop-shop where you can compare costs and coverage, and buy a plan from a certified group of health issuers. You could quality for free or low-cost coverage through Medicaid or receive financial assistance to get covered.
Qualified Health Plans for individuals and families in Erie County
- Fidelis Care (1-888-343-3547)
- BlueCross BlueShield of Western NY ( 1-800-888-5407)
- YourCare Health Plan (1-800-683-3781)
- Independent Health (1-800-501-3439)
- Health Republic (1-888-990-5702)
- Today’s Options (1-866-422-5009)
Each Insurance company has Certified Application Counselors who are able to help you to get enrolled!
Where can you get help?
Please contact local Marketplace NAVIGATORS!
They are trained and certified. They offer free enroll-ment assistance.
- Kaleida Health (716) 859-8979, (716)748-2115,(716)690-2013,
- Neighborhood Legal Services
- Public Policy & Education Fund of New York 1-800-803-8508
- Community Access Services of WNY
If you don’t have insurance, please choose a health plan and get signed up by March 31, 2014 for coverage in 2014.
How to sign-up?
- Online: nystateofhealth.ny.gov
- Phone: 1-855-355-5777
- In person: Call the local NAVIGATORS or CERTIFIED
- APPLICATION COUNSELORS to make an appointment.